6th Grade Language Arts Syllabus
Instructor: E. Patronas
Welcome to what promises to be a great year at Alba Middle School. I am thrilled to have the opportunity to instruct your student in the areas of reading, writing, listening, and thinking. I know that together we can make this a banner year in the academic life of your student.
The Language Arts program for the Mobile County Public School System is designed to develop and strengthen communication skills. Students will be actively involved in a variety of lessons that stress reading, writing, listening, and thinking.
· Alabama Course of Study and Common Core Reading Standards
· Mobile County Course Objectives (included on quarterly guide)
Information regarding the MCPSS Reading/Language Arts curriculum and pacing guide for 6th grade may be accessed at www.mcpss.com or Alba’s school website.
· Prentice Hall Literature, Alabama Common Core Edition (class set)
· Daily Language Review books will be used as homework and bell ringer
· Accelerated Reader and STAR programs for evaluation of independent reading
· AMS Library and Computer Lab
· Other materials and trade books as determined by teacher
· All advanced students will be required to complete one novel assignment outside of class each quarter.
1. Students must complete all assigned classwork and homework.
2. Students must complete assigned projects. All projects will be assigned at least two weeks in advance; this gives the student adequate time to complete out-of-class projects.
3. Upon returning from an absence, students have three days to complete any missed assignments. It is the student’s responsibility to get missed assignments from the teacher.
4. Homework assignments will be listed on the board each day. Homework will be given nightly in the Daily Language Review workbook. Each student will also be encouraged to read nightly from his/her AR book. All Alba students are expected to make their AR goals each quarter. Additional homework assignments will be given as needed. You are encouraged to check your student’s planner daily.
Quizzes/Projects/Class Work/Writings 30%
I am available for conferences each school day from 11:45-12:15. I am also available to conference with parents after school, by appointment. If you wish to schedule a conference you may contact the school at (251) 824-4134. You may also contact me by e-mail at email@example.com.